Sunday, March 6, 2011

Gap's CSR Dilemma


There are many internships out there.  Which will you choose?  Whichever you can get?  Or one with a company that you truly admire? I myself would love to work for a socially responsible company, but I also just want a summer job.  One with pay.  I looked at Gap – but here’s my issue. 
I really like Gap.  My closet is full of Banana Republic clothes, a few things from Old Navy and Gap.  Gap, Inc. is a smart company.  They have a brand and product for everybody – from their Athleta line to their Piperlime shoes.  Not to mention Gap Body, Baby, men’s, women’s, etc. 
I liked Gap even more when I learned about their CSR efforts.  I was researching them for a summer internship and found their CSR page.  According to http://www2.gapinc.com/GapIncSubSites/csr/EmbracingOurResponsibility/ER_Our_Focus.shtml  Gap focuses on 4 areas: Supply Chain (from factories to farms to the stores, Gap treats their people with respect and dignity), Environment (reducing waste, saving energy), Employees (supporting their goals and passion), Community investment (support volunteering)
So this is all fantastic, of course I would have never known that Gap had these efforts unless I had already been researching the company.  Why don’t companies spend time and money to market these points?  In fact, some of Gap’s marketing would suggest the opposite.  Now the following example is not that big of a deal, but it was a big deal to me.  Last semester I walked past the Gap in union square often. There’s the Gap regular and then the Gap Body, which was promoting its athletic wear.  All three large windows had empty plastic 1-liter bottles lining the bottom.  It bothered me that their attempt to cut down waste did not include their window dressing.  The images and photos of beautiful girls working out behind these water bottles also included girls with plastic water bottles.  A simple solution to cutting down waste, staying true to their CSR efforts, and a way to make money would be to start selling reusable water bottles.  Gap Body could then line its windows with said bottles and use them in their ads (the additional revenue wouldn’t hurt).  Unless they really don’t care, but Gap will soon be accused of green washing.   I believe the company does good things: project red and reforming its factories - but isn’t it easier to start small?  Hopefully some day the CSR effort will reach the window dressers, marketing team, and buyers.  Maybe, I can help them get there?

No comments:

Post a Comment