Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Talking Trash!

I am so proud of my Net Impact chapter!  Our team is fantastic!  Our Director of Campus Greening has really stepped up to the plate and created a bunch of fantastic events for this upcoming semester.
Coming up we have "trash talking with Anthony."  We need this at USF.  Even I need this - so many times I wonder - did I just throw away something that could have been recycled?  or, did I just recycle something that wasn't supposed to go in there?  Then I feel guilty for the rest of the day!!


The city of Santa Monica offers free classes teaching its residents about reusing, reducing, and recycling.  My friend decided to take this 6-week course last summer.  I remember the day he went to the city recycling center to pick up his worm-composting bin.  Or the day he put a bucket in his shower in order to catch excess water which he then used to water his plants.   The coolest thing though, was the week he weighed his trash.  Yes, sounds as weird as the others – but every morning he weighed his trash against his recycling.  Since most of Santa Monica’s retailers and restaurants use recyclable or compostable materials, it was cool to realize that most of what we thought was trash – really wasn’t.  It’s just like dieting – you know that you can eat less, or in this case: waste less, but until you make a conscious effort – it is easy to get off track. 

I used to work for a non-profit that supported an aquarium.  Marine education and conservation was part of our every day life.  We were aware of the garbage patch in the Pacific long before Captain Charles Moore went on the Colbert Report.  There is a serious problem out there- and I am excited that we are shining light on the problem

No comments:

Post a Comment