Thursday, March 17, 2011

Green Washing

I was watching the Colbert Report recently and he was talking about Wal Mart growing a conscience.  Wal Mart will stock healthier products and has aligned with Michelle Obama and her “Let's Move!” campaign.  I looked into Wal Mart for their MBA internship – even applied.  I wasn’t too surprised when I didn’t hear back from them, but I gave it a shot.   
I know that Wal Mart has a bad reputation; killing off the mom-and-pop shops and having low quality items.  I personally have never shopped at Wal Mart, but the fact is, people do.  And as long as people are going to shop there, they should have options of quality and healthy products.  I don’t know if people are aware of Wal Mart’s CSR manifesto, but those who are aware call it “green washing,” that all of Wal Mart’s efforts are only for show.  So what?  If green washing leads to better wages, unprocessed foods healthier for our country, fair trade, or higher standards for factories abroad, then let the green washing continue! the fact is, the conversation has started and the idea of change is out there.  At some point companies will be held accountable for their "green" claims - and will have to produce evidence otherwise they'll lose any credibility.  
Green washing or not, Wal Mart has made changes in energy efficiency, healthier food, less packaging, and caring about where their products come from. I don’t shop at Wal Mart, I like my local groceries and trust Whole Foods more than a “super store.”  I also buy non-food items from small mom-and-pop shops – support local.  But there are those in our country who cannot afford to do so.    And for them – Wal Mart may be a viable choice.   And for those of us looking at internships, just know they probably only hire from Harvard – but don’t rule the company out.  Most companies – even Wal Mart has somewhat of a conscience.  And if they don’t maybe you can be a positive influence?  

No comments:

Post a Comment